If you’ve seen the trailer for “St. Vincent”, you’ve seen about 80% of the movie. The remaining 20% is what keeps this film crumbling into a sentimental mess and turns it into something that, like the main character, has rough edges but will be remembered fondly by a few.
"What IS it About Mexicans and Death?"
I’ve been hyped about this film for months, ever since I saw the first trailer. A relatively green animation company has decided to create an epic fairy tale based around Mexican folklore and the Day of the Dead. It sounded fantastic, but I was worried that the lack of pedigree might hurt its chances a bit in the box office. Naturally, I had a LOT of opinions about the finished product.
"And Do You Believe You Know What it is to be a Monster?"
I saw this movie less than eight hours ago. I have already forgotten most of it.
"Why Should I Die? He's the Asshole."
I’m still having a hard time formulating cohesive thoughts about this film. I feel like I was witness to a hit-and-run and now I have to give testimony. Like most of the characters in this film, I want to get at the truth, but I’m pretty sure that every person in my theater watched “Gone Girl” and saw a different film.
1. Thou shalt drink whenever a character on screen drinks